How to Redeem a Sefer Torah
Torah redemption's are made by:
- A group of friends
- Sisterhoods/women leagues
Redemption's are dedicated:
- In memory of loved ones
- On the occasion of a simcha
- To note a special milestone
- In honor of a Rav or teacher
- For a segula eg: refuah sheleima
- To honor our soldiers
There are a number of steps that must take place until the day when you will be honored to place a Sefer Torah in the Aron Hakodesh of an I.D.F. base.
- Decide if you would like to redeem a "regular" or Holocaust Sefer Torah.
- Decide when, and if, you and your family will be in Israel so that you can be present at the Hachnasat Sefer Torah ceremony.
- Contact the International Young Israel Movement via this website or at the contact below.
- The Young Israel movement in Israel will make all the arrangements on the ground, which include: having the Sefer Torah repaired, coordinating with the I.D.F., setting up the ceremony, ordering the transportation etc. etc.
- Decide on the dedication you would like to have written on the Sefer Torah "mantel" (cover) and send it to the IYIM in Israel office. You will be sent a graphic to approve or change.
- Compile a list of family and friends you would like to invite to the ceremony and invite them. Please coordinate this with the IYIM in Israel office so we can coordinate transportation.
- Transfer funds to the Young Israel in Israel office.
- Be prepared to enjoy a momentous ceremony.